Episode 21: Fires in Chamonix & Garmisch, Vicky Gosling interview & How to get into Ski Racing
This week Jim and Iain wonder why the Alps are so flammable (after the recent fires in Chamonix, Tignes and Garmisch), Jim reports on glacier skiing in Cervinia and Iain interviews VIP Vicky Gosling OBE CEO BSS.
Listen to the latest episode
You can listen to the latest episode from The Ski Podcast on iTunes, Acast and Google Podcasts or by searching for us on your favourite podcast player. Make sure you subscribe so you never miss an episode and please do leave us a review if you can as it helps others find us.
- Chill Factore is the longest indoor snow slope in the UK at 180m (00:22)
- Iain was taking part in the LG Trail (02:22)
- Ski for a year on the Epic Pass (03:13)
- There were fires that destroyed lift stations in Chamonix, Tignes and Garmisch this summer (04:40)
- In 2016 skiers in Cervinia spent Christmas Eve stuck on a lift (08:33)
- Undeterred, Jim skiied in Cervinia earlier this summer. Listen to his report at 08:55.
- In a blow to everyone standing sideways, we learn that ‘Where To Ski and Snowboard’ is now ‘Where to Ski’. Last year it was Austria only, this year it’s France (14:45)
- Iain interviewed Vicky Gosling, CEO of British Ski and Snowboard at ‘Ski Launch 2018’ (18:20)
- Ster on snowheads.com declares “I like this series” – and we celebrate his/her good taste (29:20)
- Jim asks Phil Brown from BISS how to get your kids into ski racing (30:58)
- With the London Ski & Snowboard Festival only a month away, we wonder if festival fever exists and ponder why the ski show has got smaller and smaller over the years (43:15). Freeze was a great event, but sadly long gone now.
- Iain reveals his plan for the ‘Festival Freebie’ map (47:45)
- We reveal that The Ski Podcast is now sponsored by Chill Factore (51:00) – the North West’s premier ski and snow centre. Great news for Jim and Iain who have been funding the pod out of their own pocket up until now!