Episode 37: Skiing in Georgia, Buying a Piste Basher & the Future of Chalet Holidays
In Episode 37 Jim and Iain find out about skiing in Georgia and consider the future of the chalet holiday.
We have Olympic downhill racer Ed Drake in the studio, with his views on Team GB selection, plus we look at summer the mountains, snow centre trespassers and Mt Blanc aviators/climbers.
🎧 Audioboom – https://audioboom.com/channels/4995750
🎧 iTunes – bit.ly/TheSkiPodcastiTunes
🎧 Google Podcast – bit.ly/TheSkiPodcastGooglePod
🎧 Acast – bit.ly/TheSkiPodcastsAcast
🎧 Soundcloud – bit.ly/TheSkiPodcastSoundcloud
- Many thanks to Muddy Knees media for hosting us in their lush studios in Soho, London
- Do you want to buy a piste basher? There are some on sale right now.
- In Episode 17, we discussed whether to buy our own ski resort
- Does 40 hours of community service for ‘stealing electricity’ sound harsh to you?
- Swiss climbers managed to land a plane near the summit of Mt Blanc before being intercepted by police
- Ed Drake represented Team GB in the Downhill at the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics
- He now presents The Ski Racing Podcast
- Jim and Iain discussed the selection of the Alpine Racing Squad in Episode 36
- This is Laurie Taylor’s YouTube channel
- Iain interviewed Charlotte Bankes in Episode 25
- Iain does not own skis, normally renting via Intersport Ski Hire
- Iain spoke Mike Richards about his experiences of skiing in Gudauri in Georgia
- Mike is based in Japan in the winter and you can follow his adventures on Instagram here.
- Mike is a regular poster on the Snowheads forum
- We bet you can’t watch Mike’s video from his trip here without feeling jealous…
- We reported on Iain’s ski touring trip to Morocco in Episode 30
- Thanks to Matt Walton for his review on LinkedIn:
- Also to Michael Hart for his review via Facebook: “A really useful resource covering a wide range of skiing subjects. Well worth a listen. Keep it up gentlemen!”
- SnowOnly offer a wide range of chalets and apartments in ski resorts – great for summer, as well as winter.
- Are chalet holidays changing? Jim and Iain have already discussed Brexit in Episode 8 and Episode 20, including interviews with Charlie Owen from Seasonal Businesses in Travel
- Ed suggested ‘Going Downhill Fast’ by Cleeves Palmer for our next Ski Book Group book
- Don’t forget to subscribe to The Ski Podcast on your podcast provider of choice.
- You can catch up with over 50 episodes of The Ski Podcast with some great ‘evergreen’ content. We have interviews with Eddie the Eagle, Billy Morgan, Graham Bell & Chemmy Alcott, plus tips for mogul and powder technique (30), skiing in Morocco and North Korea and exclusive news on skiing celebs like Sting.
Coming up in Episode 38
- Heliskiing in Iceland
- Val d’Isère news
- The Timberline Resort story
- Plenty more…