Episode 33: Drug Dealers in Ski Resorts, Mogul Technique, French Pyrénées & Skiing at 220 km/h
In Episode 33, we find out the latest on the drug dealer behind the Courchevel fire, Iain finds out about lift pass marketing in Ax 3 Domaines and Jim discovers who the La Clusaz liftie was with The Ski Podcast sticker.
Dave reveals his tips on how to ski moguls, we look at a different guiding philosophy and (surprisingly) discover that The Ski Podcast is officially one of the best Olympic podcasts in the world!
Remember all pod listeners can claim a 10% discount from our title sponsor and the north west’s premier ski and snow centre Chill Factore using the code (‘SKIPOD10’).
– It turns out that the La Clusaz liftie with The Ski Podcast sticker was a friend of Chloe at the Tourist Office. (1:30) We’re pretty sure that it’s Chloe who features in this video, covered by Iain on Skipedia in Sep 2018.
– Ski lift etiquette – have you ever pushed in to a ski lift queue? (3:00)
– The latest news on the Courchevel fire (discussed in Episode 30) reveals it was a drug dispute between an armed cocaine supplier and his local dealers (5:30)
– Jacques Murat, is Commercial Director of the resort of Ax 3 Domaines (8:45) – Iain wrote an article about his trip to the French Pyrénées for Planetski.
– You can catch up on Iain’s ski touring trip to Morocco in Episode 30
– ‘Mur’ means ‘wall’ in French. Try the Chavanette in Avoriaz or Tortin in Verbier (17:45)
– Dave Burrows from SnowPros shared his advice on technique for handling moguls (19:00)
– Iain competed a couple of times in the ‘European Mogul Challenge’ series that took place in the 90s (25:00)
– Dave has started The Ski Instructor Podcast. You can find it here. (26:00)
– The Ski Podcast is officially one of the Top Five Olympic Podcasts! Long time listeners will recall that we ran a daily podcast during the PyeongChang Winter Olympics (27:00)
– Thanks to Huski and Dave Moore for their reviews. This is Jan’s very kind review on iTunes (28:00). Please do leave us your reviews as they help other people find us.
– Good news for Dave of the Marmottes: this pod comes in at 57 minutes! (29:00)
– Thanks to Lee for his detailed email and all his comments (30:00), particularly the confirmation that we are indeed dull (30:00). Some great suggestions though and we are definitely going to include some of them in future episodes.
– Read about that sex dungeon that we discussed in an early episode and Iain blogged about here
– Mark from Snowonly visited Samoens and the properties Jim was looking at can be found here. (33:00)
– Jim interviewed ski guide Yvan Dorier from Alter Ego Ski School (37:30)
– Dave Ryding finished 12th at the World Cup Finals and 9th overall in the end of season rankings (46:00)
– Charlotte Bankes was 4th at the World Cup Finals and finished 4th overall. Added to her Silver at the World Champs, it was a successful first season for Team GB. We interviewed Charlotte about her switch from France in Episode 25 (47:00)
– Charlie Guest became the first Brit to win a Europa Cup race (47:30)
– Jan Farrell recorded a shockingly fast 220.85 km/h to finish 12th in the speed skiing world champs (48:00)
– Val d’Isère, Les Arcs, Tignes and La Plagne are organising an anti-Brexit rally in Bourg St Maurice on Saturday 06 April (50:00)
– This is the viral Brexit photo we were talking about (52:45)
– You can watch ‘The Horn’ – about the Zermatt air rescue team – on Netflix (54:00)
Coming up in Episode 34:
– Iain will be reporting on Yoga Week in Les Menuires (51:00)
– Jim will be trying cross-country skiing for the first time (53:30)
– We have an interview with Frank Baldwin, publisher of ‘Skier and Snowboarder Magazine’ (57:00)
– Plus Jim and Iain are reading ‘The Alps’ by Stephen O’Shea for our Ski Book Group and we should be discussing that in Episode 34 as well