Episode 36: The rise of Skiing in China, the Haute Route and Teaching Yourself to Ski
In Episode 36 Jim and Iain look at the rise of skiing in China, whether you should teach yourself to ski and find out about taking on the Haute Route.
We go international as we discover we have listeners in Chile, Thailand and Koreo, plus there’s reviews from the States and Dubai. And we discover how to go skiing during October half-term.
- Make sure you subscribe and never miss an episode of The Ski Podcast (0:30)
- Thanks to all our listeners from around the world. Are you one of our fans in Korea, Thailand, Chile, Saudi Arabia or Bulgaria? (1:00)
- Jim has been ‘plogging’ in La Clusaz (3:00)
- Iain spoke to Katie Waddington from Zenith Holidays at LISTEX about the skiing during October Half Term (4:30). Options include Stubai, Piztal, Les 2 Alpes, Tignes, Zermatt and Hintertux.
- This is the dry ski slope outside Calais (12:00)
- Thanks to Andrew Brannan for his kind comments on our Facebook page: ” Just listened to #35. Enjoyable as always.” (13:00)
- Also thanks to John in the States for this review: “Wonderful podcast. Humorous and informative.” (14:00)
- And to Scott in Dubai…we’ll definitely try to get some more gear reviews done (15:00)
- Should you teach yourself to ski? Jim interviewed some ski instructors (who might be slightly biased) to find out more… (16:30)
- Iain learned to ski in St Anton (27:30)
- Iain spoke to Christine from Ski Weekend about her ‘budget’ Haute Route experience (29:00) You can find out more in their excellent guide to the Haute Route.
- Watch ‘The Horn‘ about the Matterhorn air rescue service on Netflix (41:30)
- Friends of the podcast Snowonly have teamed up with Juwai in China (42:30)
- You can find out more about the rise of skiing in China here and in Lauren Vanat’s report (44:30)
- Club Med in Val Thorens has ties with the Chinese Alpine Ski Team (47:30)
- The British Ski Alpine team for next season has been announced (51:00)
- ‘Ski The World’ by Arnie Wilson is a great book and we reviewed it in Episode 25 in Ski Book Group
- Should we review ‘Two Planks and a Passion‘ in our next Ski Book Group?
Coming up in Episode 37
- Skiing in Georgia
- Olympian Ed Drake on the latest Team GB news
- Plenty more…