80: St Anton, 007, Beijing 2022 & How To Choose Ski Boots
We have lots of ski-related chat in this episode, including a St Anton update, how to find the right ski boot for you, Graham Bell on Beijing 2022, the latest update on Covid rules and whether it’s possible to take all your holidays flight free.
Iain was joined by Andy Butterworth from Kaluma Travel, first time guest Helen Coffey, travel editor at The Independent, as well as regulars Katie Crowe from Battleface Travel Insurance and equipment expert Al Morgan.
- ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’ was filmed in Murren, Switzerland
- The Piz Gloria revolving restaurant was the location for Blofeld’s base in 1969
- Find out more about James Bond in Switzerland
- Listen to our special episode focussing on the Inferno downhill race
- Andy hopes to ski in Hintertux, following their fresh snow last week
- Helen skied in Sierra Nevada
- Iain was joined by Katie Crowe from Battleface Travel Insurance
- There is no pre-return test required for double vaccinated travellers from 04 October
- The Day 2 PCR test will be replaced by a Lateral Flow test by the end of this month
- Travel to the USA should start again soon
- It looks like the Pass Sanitaire will not be required to ski in France this winter
- The situation for children in Austria is less clear
- Find out about ‘Trav-min‘
- Helen recently took a mega-trip to Morocco by train, having signed the Flight Free UK pledge
- Iain is a signatory to Tourism Declares and founded the Ski Flight Free campaign
- Find out about The Independent’s policy on travel coverage
- Google are now including carbon emissions totals for flights:
- Ruka ski resort is in Finland
- Listen to our Travelski interview in Episode 79
- Andy is based in St Anton
- Kaluma Ski are facing some challenges of recruiting post-Brexit
- Iain hosted the Olympics sessions at the recent Ski Launch event in London. Please let us know if you’d like to hear more of this by emailing me at email@example.com
- Non-vaccinated athletes will have to quarantine for 21 days to compete at Beijing
- Listen to our Ski Podcast Special with Jon-Allan Butterworth about his conversion to snowboarding and his time on The Jump
- The Jump was our lead story in Episode 1 of The Ski Podcast four years ago in 2017
- Beth Tweddle is sueing the show.
- Read and watch more equipment reviews from Al Morgan at SkiKitInfo.com
- Al mentioned the Lange XT3 Tour ski boot
- I spoke to author Kimberley Kay about her new book: Ski A-Z: An Illustrated Guide to Skiing
- Alex Irwin reported from Courchevel on the damaged Saulire cable car
Joe McHugh: “Thanks Ian for keeping the skiing vibe on life-support during Covid times”
Inside Morzine: “Well worth a listen.. Iain’s #podcast are ALWAYS essential listening”
Greg Hilton: “Loving the podcasts”
Thanks also to Mike Greenland, who pointed out Lauterbrunnen is part of Jungfrau (I was confusing it with Adelboden)
I really do appreciate reading all feedback about the show, so please do email me firstname.lastname@example.org and if you can give us a review on Apple Podcasts/iTunes it helps other people find us.
Don’t forget you can listen to The Ski Podcast on Spotify as well, and if you know someone else who’s getting excited about the ski season then please do share it. Don’t forget you can always buy me a coffee at buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast and all cuppas are much appreciated.
We also have a few stickers left, so if you’d like some for your skis, board, helmet or phone, please drop us an email or contact us via social @theskipodcast with your postal address.
Thanks again to Switzerland Tourism for supporting the podcast