Episode 70: The Inferno, Skiing in Afghanistan & Olympian Martin Bell
This week we find out about the booming market for ski holidays for next winter, there’s an interview with Olympic downhill racer Martin Bell, news of the Afghan Ski Challenge and we find all about The Inferno – the downhill race in Murren for amateur skiers.
Thanks as always to Switzerland Tourism for supporting the podcast.
- The Global Travel Taskforce is due to report on April 12, with the hope that travel may start again from May 17
- Cyprus, Greece & Turkey have all confirmed UK citizens will be welcome
- The EU has announced details of a new ‘Digital Green Pass‘
- We discussed the ‘Common Pass’ back in Episode 61 last autumn
- Andy Butterworth from Kaluma Travel was reporting from St Anton
- Andy last appeared on the show in Episode 66
- Ben from Mabey Ski called in from Whistler, Canada
- Ed Mannix is the owner of Matterhorn Chalets in Zermatt, Switzerland
- You can listen to our Joe Ponte interview in this Special Podcast
- Le Ski have recently reported sales are ‘stratospheric‘
- Nick started the company in Kitzbuhel in 1982
- Bob Dylan: “If you ain’t got nothing, you’ve got nothing to lose”
- Charlie Rees was in Murren, Switzerland
- Vanessa and Nick have competed in The Inferno 26 times
- You can listen to our Ski Podcast Special Episode published last week
- Find out more about The Inferno here
- Martin and Graham appeared on The Wogan Show before the Calgary Winter Olympics
- Zoe Atkin won Bronze at the World Championship Ski Half Pipe
- Mia Brookes won Bronze in the Europa Cup Snowboard Slopestyle
- James Willcox runs Untamed Borders
- Watch the film ‘Where The Light Shines‘ here
- You can find out about the Afghan Ski Challenge here
Buy Me A Cuppa
Thanks to everyone who has bought me a cuppa since the last podcast.
Stuart Barber: “Love the podcast”
Peter Taylor: “Really enjoying the podcast, only recently discovered it”
Andrew Brannan: “Thanks for the podcasts. They brighten up my commute”
Plus also thanks to David Wade, Matt and Graeme
If you enjoy The Ski Podcast, you can buy me a coffee at www.buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast
If you’d like a set of Ski Podcast stickers, please contact us.
Plus you can win goodies from Switzerland Tourism by giving us a review on Facebook or Apple Podcasts before the end of March.
Reviews (by Snowheads)
Layne: “A couple of very interesting specials. Keep up the good work”
Mike Pow: “Getting better each episode”
We have a full Podcast Special of our interview with James Willcox about skiing in Afghanistan, Charlie will be reporting on snow shoeing in Engelberg and we’ll be talking to Al Morgan from Ski Kit info.