69: Tignes, Murren 007, Joining the Ski Patrol & The National Snow Show
This week, Iain is joined by Stephie Dijkman from Tignes. We discuss the challenges of this ‘saison blanche’ and plans for summer glacier skiing.
We find out more about the new National Snow Show, Charlie reports from Murren, we learn how to become a pisteur and discuss the impact of Brexit on UK tour operators.
Thanks as always to Switzerland Tourism for supporting the podcast.
- Stephie Dijkman is Sales & Marketing Director at Tignes
- Buses in Tignes are operating fine, not like in Meribel (listen to Episode 68 for more on this)
- Walking and snow shoeing have both been very popular with the lifts closed
- Would you try ice diving in Tignes?!
- Tignes have seen occupancy around 25%, compared to 95% usually for vacances scholaires – 55% of their clientele to come from outside France
- Tignes have announced summer skiing on the glacier from 19 June to 01 August
- Zermatt charges considerably more for race training
- Research from the Mountain Trade Network suggests that more people are looking for longer two week holidays
- Workations are becoming more popular, both Courchevel and La Clusaz have had special ‘teletravail’ offers
- Joe Ponte is CEO at Hotelplan includes Inghams, Flexiski, Esprit and Ski Total
- SBIT are campaigning to try and help employers of seasonal staff
- You can listen to the full version of this interview in our Special Episode released last week
- Friend of the show Katy Dartford was in Les Menuires
- Catherine Cosby from Mountains 4 All reported in from Gstaad in Switzerland
- Jim was reporting from Bulgaria
- Charlie Rees has been in Murren
- The Bond film ‘On Her Majesty’s Secret Service’ was filmed here
- Tom Greenall has trained to become a pisteur in France. This will be released as a special podcast next week
- The National Snow Show will take place at the Birmingham NEC from 23-24 October 2021
- Ski Sunday prompted a lot of discussion after a feature on diversity in their last episode
- We interviewed the founders of Mount Noire in Episode 61
- Listen to our ski podcast special about Benjamin Alexander
Janet Barnett: “Thanks again for continuing to keep us informed & entertained on all things skiing”
Jonny Goldsborough: “Long term listener, tks for keeping the ski vibe going in challenging times!”
Nicky: “You are keeping me going whilst working from home”
Pete: “Been a listener since the beginning. Great podcast entertaining and informative. Keep up the good work.”
I’d like to thank all of these guys, who also bought me a cuppa. If you enjoy The Ski Podcast, you can buy me a coffee too.
Question: Jonny G asked about our’least favourite resorts’
Interview with Martin Bell and we’ll have more from Charlie in Murren about the Inferno