Episode 49: Towed by a Tesla, French Pyrénées & the Rise of Bansko
In this episode Jim has been busy and reports from Anzère in Switzerland as well as part two of his trip to Bulgaria.
Iain is out in Cauterets in the French Pyrénées, we hear about Jamie Barrow’s new world record and friend of the pod Dave Burrows joins us live to talk about an exciting new trip for next winter.
The Ski Podcast would like to thank Switzerland Tourism for their support.
- Extinction Rebellion were dealt with decisively/violently (delete as applicable) by the police at Chambery airport (2:00)
- Snow Aid Australia was a superb idea, originated by Rachael Oakes-Ash and which raised over AUD200,000 for bushfire relief/recovery and wildlife rescue/rehabilitation (6:00)
- President Macron was in Chamonix viewing the melting Mer de Glace and launching new climate change policies (9:00)
- It was also announced that there would be limits on the number of climbers on Mont Blanc (which would stop the rowing machine incident we discussed in Episode 40) (10:00)
- Jim visited Anzère in the Swiss Valais region with Dave from Snowpros (14:00)
- Iain was recording live from Cauterets in the French Pyrénées, where he also skied in Grand Tourmalet and visited the Pic du Midi (23:00)
- It’s not great snow cover, but unlike in Luchon no helicopters were used to ship in snow (27:30)
- Dave spoke about how to ski ice in Episode 46 (28:30)
- Why do most skiers turn one direction more easily than another? Dave shared his thoughts (29:00)
- Jim gave an insight into the rise of Bansko, where he was a guest of Balkan Holidays (33:00)
- Jamie Barrow set a new speed record for a snowboarder, towed behind a Tesla 3 EV at 183 kph (39:00)
- We previous interviewed Jamie about his trip to North Korea back in Episode 4.
- Also generating zero emissions are the lifts in Les Arcs, which are all powered by renewable electricity (42:00)
- Unfortunately Fjord the Search and Rescue dog has recently died (49:30)
- Thanks to all our listeners for helping us reach record audience numbers
- Thanks to Matt Hayes for his kind comments: “One of my favourite episodes yet! Great banter, insight and potential for legal action.” (50:00)
- Also to Carolyn as she works on her ‘big ski wear project’ (50:30)
- Thanks also to Craig for his 5-star review and we recommend Craig heads to Baqueira Beret in the Spanish Pyrénées on his short break from Barcelona (51:00)
- Dave revealed details of The Ski Podcast’s first hosted trip. Join us in Morgins in March 2021. Details coming soon… (52:30)
- Don’t forget we are reading ‘Aiming High’ in Ski Book Group. Feel free to read as well and we’ll discuss it in Episode 51 or 52
- Don’t forget to subscribe to The Ski Podcast wherever you download your podcasts so you never miss another episode