157: Snowboarding Special: How to choose a snowboard, renting v. buying, splitboarding & more
In Episode 157 of The Ski Podcast we turn our focus to snowboarding, including how to choose a snowboard, whether you should buy or rent and what split boarding is.
Iain was joined by journalist Sam Haddad (Guardian & Cooler Magazine) and Luke Rees, founder of adventure travel website AWE365.com.
- Check out Sam’s new ‘Climate & Board Sports’ Substack
- Listen to Felix Milns talk about his helicopter freefall jump over the Eiger in Episode 98
- Sam was in La Rosiere in April
- Iain tested the Mont Valaisan ski area in La Rosiere in Episode 27
- Luke travelled to North Macedonia
- The are 157 episodes of The Ski Podcast, so under our new numbering system, this is Episode 157
- Les 3 Vallees sponsors The Ski Podcast
- The Alpine Ski World Championships will be held in Courchevel and Meribel from 06-19 February 2023
- The National Snow Show takes place at the Birmingham NEC on 15-16 October
- Look out for ‘The Ski Podcast Live!’ on Saturday at 11.15am and Iain’s presentation on electric cars in ski resorts on Sunday at 12:00pm
- There are three main categories of snowboard: Freeride, Freestyle and All Mountain
- Sam is a big fan of splitboarding – read her article in The Guardian here
- For a UK-based splitboarding option, try Wandering Workshops in Scotland
- Burton’s ‘Step On’ snowboard bindings are a game-changer
- Nidecker’s ‘Supermatic’ is another ‘step’ in this direction
- Al Judge is the owner of AliKats Mountains Holidays in Morzine
- Find out about the Montagne Verte organisation in Morzine
- Listen to our special episode on Electric Vehicles in ski resorts
- Find out about bokashi composting
- You can find out more about their sustainability policies on their website
- On average, a hot tub uses 1,500 litres of water and 200 kWh of electricity to keep the water at 37.5 degrees centigrade for a week in the winter
- Find out about their ‘Responsible Hot Tub Initiative’ here
- AliKats use the Good Planet Foundation for any offsets they require
- Listen to our special episode when Iain interviewed Helen Coffey, the flight free travel journalist
I enjoy all feedback about the show, so please do review us on Spotify/Apple, or get in contact on social or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fogey58: “Always varied, well presented and for snowsports fans an essential hit”
Guapo333: “Love this podcast. Really informative and superbly presented. Keep up the good work”
Elaine Bunyon: “Wow…Greece is now on my bucket list!”
Thanks also to Fiachra Diskin and Dave Faller for your kind words.
Don’t forget we have 156 other episodes to catch up on – typically 75-100 get listened to every week.
You can follow The Ski Podcast on social media at @theskipodcast
Thanks to Les 3 Vallées for supporting The Ski Podcast.