Episode 74: Cat Skiing in North Macedonia, Summer Snow in Avoriaz & Sustainability in Morzine
In Episode 74, we discuss summer skiing in Avoriaz, sustainability in Morzine and cat skiing in North Macedonia. Plus we talk origins with Jim Adlington from Planks Clothing and the demise of apres-ski in Courchevel with Alex Irwin.
Iain is joined ‘live’ by Sara Burdon from Morzine Tourist Office and regular guest and friend of the show, Mike Richards.
We would like to thank Switzerland Tourism for their continued support.
- Katie Crowe is from Battleface Travel Insurance
- You can read the details of their latest research here
- Their Sherpa tool is useful for checking the latest situation in each country
- We were joined by Paul Anderson, CEO at NZski.com in Episode 73
- We have over 100 episodes to catch up on
- Morzine and Avoriaz are both within the same ‘commune’
- Avoriaz was founded by Jean Vuarnet, ski racer and sunglass pioneer
- Al Judge from AliKats took part in our Electric Vehicles special
- Dom Turner from Skiology was on the show in Episode 65
- Find out about the excellent organisation Montagne Verte
- Iain went to Les Arcs to review their sustainability in Episode 45
- Morzine was the first ski resort to have a dedicated MTB course in 1997
- Mike went to North Macedonia in January 2011
- Mike has previously talked about his experiences in Georgia (Episode 37), Montenegro (Episode 39), Japan (Episode 41) and in Wales (Episode 65)
- Popova Shapka was a candidate for the 1992 Winter Olympics (which went to Sarajevo instead)
- Mike stayed at the Hotel Slavija, which opened in 1987
- Eskimo Freeride offer cat skiing in Popova Shapka
- Find out more about the resort here (in Macedonian)
- Listen to our special episode of The Ski Podcast with Jim Adlington
- Alex Irwin is presenter of the 150 Days of Winter YouTube channel
Buy Me A Coffee
I’d like to thank Wayne Hall and the Winterised team for buying me a cuppa since our last episode.
It takes hours to put together a single episode of the podcast, so if you enjoy The Ski Podcast, you can buy me a coffee at www.buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast
Don’t forget if you’d like some TSP stickers for your helmet, skis or phone, then just email firstname.lastname@example.org with your address and we’ll post some out to you for free.
Our next episode will probably be out in early July – let’s hope we have some better news on travel by then…
You can follow me @skipedia the show @theskipodcast – and we’re now on Instagram as well.
I’d like to thank Switzerland Tourism for their continued support.