67: Behind the Scenes at ‘Ski Sunday’ with Chemmy Alcott, The Snow Centre & James Blunt tour secrets
In Episode 67, we go behind the scenes at ‘Ski Sunday’, on tour with James Blunt, discover craft beer in the Alps and reveal the results from our survey.
Iain’s guests for this episode where BBC Ski Sunday presenter Chemmy Alcott and Ian Brown, Managing Director at The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead.
We would like to thank our sponsors Switzerland Tourism for their continued support for the podcast.
- Chemmy was skiing chest-deep powder in Laax
- The group was on their way to Verbier to do a training course with Peak Leaders
- They started the time in Europe in Vallorcine where some of the group tested positive
- Graham Bell is in Dancing on Ice 2021
- Chemmy took part in the Inferno in Murren in 2020
- Iain travelled to Crans Montana in December
- Chemmy has tried cooking for Ed!
- Dougie and Chemmy are coaching Giselle Gorringe
- Graham would probably have been very hot in this outfit…
- Betony Garner appeared in Episode 65 when we discussed cross country skiing
- Her report was recorded in Les Contamines
- Charlie Rees took the Mammut backcountry course in Andermatt
- The avalanche danger is very high in Switzerland
- We’ve previously discussed skiing in Wales and in Scotland
- Ian is from The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead
- Sadly, the Swindon project will not be going ahead
- You can listen to the full interview with Peter Hardy here
- Peter learned to ski in Lech in 1960
- Erna Low organised their own ski train to the Alps in the 60s
- Listen to our podcast special about Erna Low here
- Peter is the author of ‘Different Country, Same State’ – the inside story of being on tour with James Blunt
- You can watch Peter’s video of skiing with Graham Bell on old kit here
“Just to say I love the Podcast not being able to ski at the mo is made easier by your interviews and discussion thanks!” Suzi Jones
“With not much chance of getting on the slopes, the Ski Podcast brings some relief to us all” Chris Filey
“Often copied, never surpassed” Skibum70
“Keep it up, it’s very enjoyable” Jill Taylor
“Another great listen” James Hawkins
“Love this pod, keeps me entertained in many a commute, lockdown workout or when I’m simply missing the mountains” Matt Hayes
“I’ve listened to quite a few other podcasts but ‘The Ski Podcast’ is by far the best for me. Great content, interesting guests, plus it has really kept us informed through the shall we say an ‘interesting’ last twelve months.” Eggfried100 on Snowheads
Tips on Car Hire at Geneva
- Hire from the Swiss side and don’t wait for the bus, just walk (it’s only 5 mins)
- Don’t return the car empty – it’s expensive!
- Iain recommends booking via Holiday Autos
- Chemmy suggests renting from Super U on the French side for long-term rentals (but don’t take too much meat!)
You can read the results of our recent survey here. The winner of the prize draw was Adam Horsfield.
If you’d like some The Ski Podcast stickers then please contact us with your address and we’ll drop a few in the post to you
Thanks to Matt Hayes, Michael Gold, Mark McGarry, Julie Slaughter, Doug Newman, Rachael Westbrook and Joanna Yellowlees-Bound for buying me a cuppa at BuyMeACoffee