Episode 31: Telemark Skiing, Courchevel Plane Crash, Avalanche in Crans Montana, Moon Boots & more
Jim tries out telemark skiing for the first time, while Iain finds out what it’s like behind the scenes with the La Clusaz ski patrol.
We also discuss the recent plane crash in Courchevel, the fatal avalanche in Crans Montana, Lindsey Vonn’s retirement, whether Moon Boots are hot or not, how the new chalet regulations are affecting British tour operators in France, the first self-drive navette in a ski resort and how to service your skis.
All that and much more in the 31st episode of The Ski Podcast. Remember all pod listeners can claim a 10% discount a the north west’s premier ski and snow centre Chill Factore using the code (‘SKIPOD10’).
– Ski suit or ski gear? Jim favours the ski suit…
– There was a fatal avalanche in Crans Montana, Switzerland on 19 February. Watch this video and hold your breath! (4:30)
– If you missed it, then this is a video of the plane crash at Courchevel altiport (8:30)
– Lindsey Vonn retired second to Ingemar Stenmark with 82 World Cup wins to his 86 in the all-time list of Alpine Ski World Cup wins (9:45)
– Vonn started her own herd of livestock after choosing a cow (“because she was really cute”) as a prize over a $5,000 check after a World Cup win in Val d’Isere. The cow, Olympe, turned out to be pregnant and Vonn now owns a family of them. (11:00)
– Moon Boots: genuinely not too bad (as long as you don’t get them out of a rubbish in like Jim) (12:30)
– The new TV programme about the ski patrol in Val Thorens is being filmed this season and will be broadcast later in the year (25:45)
– Jim interviewed Linley Lewis from Ticket To Ride about the new chalet regulations and controls in place in France (29:30)
– Please do review us on iTunes or email or Tweet us your feedback (but if you do leave us a 1-star review, don’t be shy, tell us why – we might be able to change things!) (39:00)
– Iain reviewed the Ekster smart wallet: ‘Designed for people who tend to lose their belongings’. Save 20% off any order by using the code ‘SKIPOD-EKSTER’ (42:00)
– Jim was coached on the art of telemark skiing by Wendy Holland in La Clusaz (44:45)
– Team GB telemarker Jasmin Taylor now had more podiums than any other British skier (50:00)
– Jim’s Ski Servicing interview was with Simon from Wax Off (52:30)
– Lonely Mountain skis probably don’t sell 80,000 pairs of cross country skis to Australia (1:00:00)
Promote your business on The Ski Podcast
If you would like to sponsor or partner with the ski podcast then please contact email@example.com
Episode 32 arrives on 19 March 2019
Watch out for our next episode arriving into your podcast app on or around 19 March. Subscribe now to make sure you never miss an episode. And don’t forget you can request your own The Ski Podcast stickers and send us a photo of your sticker!
Thanks for listening.