88: Chemmy Alcott on ‘Ski Sunday’ & Beijing 2022 plus Grindelwald & Yad Moss
In Episode 88, special guest Chemmy Alcott takes us behind the scenes of ‘Ski Sunday’ and the BBC’s Beijing Olympics coverage. We also discuss Grindelwald, Yad Moss, how to choose a ski helmet and there’s our usual round up of snow reports from across Europe.
Iain was joined by 4-time Olympian & BBC Ski Sunday presenter, Chemmy Alcott and industry expert Rob Stewart, as well as regulars, Katie Crowe from Battleface Travel Insurance and equipment guru Al Morgan from SkiKitInfo.com.
Thanks to Switzerland Tourism for sponsoring the podcast. Switzerland remains the simplest country to go to if you have kids in tow, with no extra rules in place for the u16s and no tests required (for fully vaccinated passengers) on arrival.
- Chemmy last joined us in a year ago in Episode 67
- Rob joined us last in Episode 51
- Did you know that the Dutch call drag lifts ‘pancake lifts’?
- The Day 2 return test on its way out for double-vaccinated skiers from February 11,
- although children are still required to take it
- The NHS pass is now available for 12-15 year olds
- Check the Battleface Travel website for current restrictions and for your ski insurance
- Vanessa Fisher reported from the Dolomites in Italy
- Stephen Spiers was in Verbier Switzerland
- Elena tells us about fresh snow in the Tirol in Austria
- You can order Caroline Eliot’s book ‘Fjord’s Mission’ here and listen to our interview with Caroline in Episode 82
- Iain was in Les Arcs. You can watch his video snow report here.
- Iain travelled by train on the inaugural Travelski Express Ski Train
- Listen to our Bonus Episode all about the Ski Train
- Iain spoke with Peter Stockton about Yad Moss Ski Club
- Dave Ryding became the first Briton to win a World Cup Alpine ski race
- You can catch up with all the ‘Ski Sunday’ episodes on the BBC iPlayer
This is Chemmy’s great quote:
“Skiing is a perfect sport for this type of personal growth: everyone falls; it is the picking oneself up & trying again that is the win“
- Rob was in Grindelwald where he tried out the new Eiger Express
- We intereviewed Remo Kaser from the Jungfrau region about the lift in Episode 61
- You can read Al’s review of the season’s best new ski helmets here
Reviews and comments are always welcome, whether on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, social media or by email.
“Your podcast is a danger to my pocket, it makes me book more trips than I sensibly should, great stuff!”Paul Bond
The Ski Podcast has been nominated as Best Wintersports Podcast. It’s very easy to vote – just go to www.sportspodcastawards.com. We would really appreciate it and would like to thank the many people who have voted for us already.
I also enjoy all feedback about the show, so please do email. You can follow me @skipedia and the podcast @theskipodcast.
Thanks again to Switzerland Tourism for sponsoring the show. In our next episode we’ll be discussing Crans Montana and Gstaad.