Episode 73: New Zealand, Chamonix & Skiing in the Lake District…in May
Episode 73 covers three time zones with Paul Anderson (NZski.com) in New Zealand and Claire Burnet (Chamonix) in France joining Iain in the UK.
We discuss the coming season Down Under and the expected boom for NZ resorts from the Trans-Tasman bubble; the lifts turning again in Chamonix and the prospects for a ‘normal’ summer season in France.
We have a special feature on skiing in the UK in May – it’s very rare, but we have reports from Wales, Scotland and the Lake District in England.
Thanks as always to Switzerland Tourism for supporting The Ski Podcast. We are delighted to announce that this partnership has been extended to cover this summer and next winter.
- Mike Richards reported from Wales and previously appeared on the show discussing skiing in Wales in more depth in Episode 65
- Follow Mike at mikethesnow on Instagram
- Greg Hilton was ski touring in Cairngorm with British Backcountry
- David Johnson visited Glencoe and the Nevis Range earlier in May
- You can check the Nevis Range webcam here
- We previously covered skiing options in Scotland in Episode 62
- Simon Burgess visited Raise, organised by the Lake District Ski Club
- Check the live feed on Twitter here
- You can follow Simon’s adventures on his website
- Katie Crowe is from Battleface Travel Insurance
- You can check current travel restrictions on the ‘Sherpa’ app on their website
- NZ.com includes Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Mt Hutt and welcome 700,000 guests each winter, of which 30-40% are from Australia
- The resorts near Queenstown offer ‘remarkable’ views with a season lasting from June to October
- A recent survey suggests pent-up demand for NZ skiing in Australia
- The lifts starting turning again in Chamonix on May 19 at 50% capacity as ‘deconfinement’ gets underway
- Last winter’s ‘saison blanche’ saw peak season occupancy reduced to 30-50% of normal levels
- Mark Seaton talked to us about the ski touring options in Chamonix in Episode 62
- Betony Garner reported on the rise of cross country skiing in France in Episode 65
- The ‘Village Vacances Grandeur Nature’ deal in Chamonix this summer means visitors can enjoy free activities on week days in July and August
- Iain is taking part in the UTMB trail running race
Buy Me A Coffee
Matt Hayes, Andrew Brannan, John M and Nick D have all very kindly bought me a cuppa since our last episode.
Andrew: “You’re doing such a professional job: it’s a very enjoyable listen.”
Nick: “Many thanks for the great work you do, putting out the best ski podcast going”
John: “Thank you. You’ve kept my ski passion going thru this tough year”
If you enjoy The Ski Podcast, you can buy me a coffee at www.buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast
Please do give us a review on iTunes/Apple Podcasts – we’ve had over 80 reviews now – and as you know how all those algorithms work, it genuinely does help people find us.
Many thanks to ‘SkiSkiSki’ who gave us this review on iTunes:
Don’t forget if you’d like some TSP stickers for your helmet, skis or phone, then just email email@example.com with your address and we’ll post some out to you for free.
Remember that you can still secure yourself a free ticket for the National Snow Show at the Birmingham NEC in October, using the code ‘SnowSkiPodcast’
Don’t forget if you haven’t listened to it yet, our Pat Sharples Ski Podcast Special is now live. Do listen to this one – it’s one of our best!