Testing the Travelski Express Ski Train (Bonus Episode #24)
This bonus episode of The Ski Podcast is all about the new Travelski Express Ski Train – which goes direct and non-stop from London to the Alps.
Iain travelled on the inaugural service on 28 January and reports on that and the background behind how and why the new service started in this short special episode.
- Eurostar took the decision to stop running their direct ski train service to the French Alps in April 2020
- Iain founded the Ski Flight Free campaign in 2019, with the goal of encouraging more skiers and snowboarders to travel to the Alps by train (or in a full car) instead of flying
- Changing trains in Paris isn’t that difficult – this video might be helpful
- The lobbying group ‘Save The Ski Train’ was formed in autumn 2020. It was created by train expert Daniel Elkan from Snowcarbon, working with Iain and representatives from the environmental organisation Protect Our Winters.
- In September 2021, the French travel company Travelski confirmed that would be reviving the service. You can listen to Iain’s full interview with Guillaume de Marcillac, the Travelski CEO, in Episode 79 of The Ski Podcast
- Six resorts were initially offered by Travelski: Meribel, Les Menuires, La Plagne, Les Arcs, Tignes and Val d’Isere with packages including accommodation, train travel, transfers to resort and lift passes.
- France introduced a travel ban on UK citizens on 18 December 2021
- The inaugural service of the Travelski Express took place on Friday 28 January.
- Iain travelled to Bourg St Maurice, from where he took the funicular to Les Arcs
Watch Iain’s video report on the train here