Episode 75: St Moritz Engadin, Midsummer Skiing in Glencoe & The Ski Club of Great Britain

In Episode 75, Iain and his guests find out about St Moritz Engadin in Switzerland, mid-summer skiing in Scotland and the oldest ski club in the world – the Ski Club of Great Britain.

Iain was joined by Marijana Jakic from St. Moritz and James Gambrill, the new general manager at the Ski Club of Great Britain.

SHOW NOTES

  • 60% of our listeners are from the UK, with the other 40% spread across the globe
  • Alex Irwin from 150 Days of Winter reported from the summer glacier in Tignes
  • Alex Armand from Tip Top Ski Coaching reported from the glacier in Les 2 Alpes
  • Steve Angus was on the glacier in Val d’Isère 
  • We featured skiing in Scotland in May in Episode 73
  • Andy Meldrum is the owner of Glencoe, where he reported on their midsummer ski day
  • If you’d like to know more about skiing in Scotland, can I suggest taking a listen to Episode 62, when we were joined by Trafford Wilson from Snowsport Scotland. 
  • We have over 100 episodes to catch up on, so if you’re a new listener, have a look on the website (www.theskipodcast.com), maybe look for a tag or category that takes your interest, from Crans Montana to Courchevel, Eddie the Eagle to Erna Low.
  • Katie Crowe from Battleface Travel Insurance talked us through the current travel situation
  • Cricket is still played on the St Moritz lake every winter
  • Engadin is famous for hosting the Engadin Ski Marathon – the second largest cross country event in the world
  • David Norris took part in the race in 2003 and 2004
  • James Gambrill previously founded and managed LISTEX – the trade networking show for the snowsports industry~
  • The SCGB is the oldest ski club in the world, founded in 1903 at the Cafe Royale in London

Buy Me A Cuppa

Thanks to Mark McGarry for buying me a cuppa since the last episode. Don’t forget if you enjoy listening to The Ski Podcast, you can buy me a coffee at buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast and all cuppas are much appreciated. 

We have over 80 ratings on Apple Podcasts, but no recent reviews, so listener, why not take a couple of minutes to say why you like the show (hopefully you do), and it will help other skiers out there to find us and join the party!

“I enjoy listening to this podcast…there’s chat from Europe and beyond via interviews and topical issues, including travel advice and insight”

Doug Newman on Facebook

“We love @theskipodcast for all things snow related”

@everestinthealps on Twitter: 

And Jonny, enjoy your stickers. Don’t forget if you’d like some TSP stickers for your helmet, skis or phone, then just email theskipodcast@gmail.com with your address and we’ll post some out to you for free.

Equally that’s the email address if you’ve got any questions or suggestions for items you’d like to listen to on the show. 

Coming Up

When our next episode comes out will depend on what the rules are for travel, but if all goes well, I’ll be covering trail running in Switzerland while Jim will be surfing and skating in Crans Montana.

You can follow me @skipedia the show @theskipodcast – and we’re now on Instagram as well.

I’d like to thank Switzerland Tourism for their continued support.



You may also like...