64: Richard Branson in Verbier, Graham Bell ‘Dancing on Ice’ & Yoda’s onesie
In Episode 64, Iain was joined by Jane Peel (Chief Reporter, Planetski.eu) and Alf Alderson (author and freelance journalist).
We discuss the latest on resort openings, have snow reports from Courchevel and Engelberg, and we talk favourite ski areas.
Graham Bell updates us on his preparations for ‘Dancing on Ice’, while the Chalet Shop tell us what it was like working for Richard Branson. Plus we Xmas pressie recommendations and that’s this episode of The Ski Podcast.
- Jane last skied in Les Menuires (before injuring her ACL)
- Alf last skied at Castle Mountain in Alberta
- It was suggested today that Brits might not be able to travel to the EU
- The town hall in Chatel has added Swiss flags
- There have been demonstrations across French ski resorts against the lift closures
- It’s been suggested that the Chamonix border could move slightly to allow lifts to open
- There are limits on the French going to ski in other countries (but will it be enforceable?)
- Switzerland is currently open but are there restrictions on the way?
- Social distancing was not being observed on Verbier’s first day
- Austria skiing will open from 24 Dec, but for locals only
- Jasna in Slovakia is planning to open
- Ski Amis ceased trading (adding to VIPSki, overed in Episode 63)
- Alpine Elements have gone into pre-pack administration
- You can read Jane’s interview with James Hardiman here
- ‘Test & Release‘ starts on 15 Dec, reducing quarantine on return to UK to 5 days
- Alex Irwin reported on ski touring in Courchevel
- Alex previously appeared in Episode 61
- Charlie Rees reported from Engelberg in Switzerland
- Listen to Charlie’s previous reports from Andermatt (E61) and Engelberg (E62)
- Craig Glennie reported from Lake Louise
- Mark Frary talked about ‘Aiming High: The Life of Ski Pioneer Erna Low’ in this special episode
- We talked to Jon Trigell, about his book Cham in Episode 20
- Alf has written ‘Ultimate Skiing Adventures’ – 100 Epic Adventures in the Snow’. There is a 30% discount for podcast listeners with code ‘SKIBK‘ if you buy before 31.3.21
- Jane’s favourite resort is Tavascan in the Spanish Pyrenees
- Alf’s favourite resort is Red Mountain, BC
- Star Wars-loving ski younglings will enjoy this Mandolorian onesie from Columbia for Christmas
- Graham Bell told us about his Housenkamm viral video from Lockdown 1 in Episode 52
- Graham is taking part in the new season of ‘Dancing on Ice‘, which will start in January 2021
- You can find out more about Chalet Shop on their website
- Sally and Hannah first job was kitting out Richard Branson’s property in Verbier
- Intersport Ski Hire offer a free Cancellation guarantee on all bookings
- Podcast listeners can save an extra 10% using the Discount Code ‘WINTER2020’ (France only)
Our next episode will be out towards the end of December – in the meantime there are over 80 episodes you can catch up with over the festive season.
And please do give us a review on iTunes/Apple Podcasts as it helps people find us.