Episode 62: Scotland, Touring in Chamonix, World Cup Latest, Andermatt & Tignes
In Episode 62, Iain is joined by guests Ed Drake (Olympian and presenter of Ski Racing Podcast) and Katy Dartford (Freelance ski journalist based in Lyons).
We discuss ski touring in Chamonix, how the World Cup is going to look in the ‘new normal’ and skiing in Scotland. Plus we have snow reports from Andermatt and Tignes.
We are delighted to be able to thank Switzerland Tourism for their continued support of The Ski Podcast.
- Thank all of our listeners as we have just passed 100,000 total listens
- If this is your first, we have 88 great episodes to catch up with in lockdown!
- Ed last went skiing in Bormio
- Cervinia shut down on 24 November just after opening
- The French lockdown is scheduled to end in early-November
- Currently you can still ski now in Switzerland (and there’s no quarantine on arrival)
- The UK’s ‘Global Travel Task Force’ are still to report
- There is progress on testing in resort?
- Charlie Rees reported on the skiing in Andermatt
- Alex Irwin from 150 Days of Winter reported from Tignes
- The World Cup in Lech has been postponed for two weeks
- All World Cup races will be behind closed doors
- Resorts in France are hoping ‘confinement’ will end before their World Cup races in December
- We interviewed Dave Ryding in Saas Fee in Episode 57 and also in Episode 54
- Mark Seaton is a UIAGM Mountain Guide in Chamonix
- You can book ski touring with Mark via Ski Weekend for this winter
- Steve Wells, Ellis Brigham Ski Hardware Buyer, confirmed that ski touring equipment sales have increased in the last few years
- Trafford Wilson is CEO of Snowsport Scotland
- Capacity has been limited in resorts in North America
- The Lecht will be doing temperature checks on their gondola
- Thanks to Lucy Edwards for her review of ‘A Whole Life‘
- You can support the crowdfunder for Fjord Mountain Mission here
- Caroline and Fjord previously featured in Episode 47
Thanks for Mike Pow from Snowheads: “Another great listen”
And to Andrew Brannan: “Really enjoyed most recent podcast”