87: The Magic Pass, Aosta Valley & Allenheads Ski Club
In Episode 87 we discuss the Swiss Magic Pass, the best new kit for next winter, plus we find out about skiing from Allenheads in England to the Aosta Valley in Italy.
- Dave Ryding become the first British skier to win an Alpine World Cup race
- Listen to our interview with Dave Ryding from May 2020
- Thanks to Switzerland Tourism for sponsoring the podcast
- Switzerland remains the simplest country to go to if you have children, with no extra rules in place for the u16s
- Try this great ‘Bucket List’ of experiences you can try in Switzerland
- The Ski Podcast has been nominated as ‘Best Wintersports Podcast’ in the Sports Podcast Awards
- Katie Crowe joined us from Battleface Travel Insurance for the travel update
- The Day 2 return travel test looks like it will end on February 11
- The French travel ban ended on 14 January
- Italy now requires a ‘Super Green Pass’ to go skiing
- Abi Butcher was nominated in the TravMedia awards for her exclusive on the Verbier fiasco last year. You can listen to Abi talking about that story in E66
- Dave Burrows from SnowPros Ski School reported from the Jura mountains in Switzerland
- Babsi Lapwood from the Mountain Trade Network was in Serfaus
- Jim Duncombe is based in La Clusaz
- Nigel Sanger spoke on behalf of the Allenheads Ski Club
- Simon Burgess spoke to us from Vercorin in the Val d’Anniviers region
- Find out more about the Swiss Magic Pass
- Simon stayed in Anzere
- Simon previously told us about the Raise ski area in the Lake District in Episode 73
- Iain went trail running in Zinal in July 2021, reporting in Episode 76
- Iain was ski touring in Crans Montana in December 2020 (Episode 65)
- Martina has skied throughout the Aosta Valley, including in Courmayeur, La Thuile and Pila
- Interski specialise in school ski trips to Pila
- Both Martina and Simon have skied in Bariloche in Argentina
- Listen to Rob’s report on the Stockli factory in Episode 86
- Artilect were one of the award winners
- Smartwool offer plant-based dye on their Merino underlayers
- Find out about Intersport’s BootDoc service in Episode 86
- There’s been some great success at the Paralympic World Champs
- Iain previously interviewed Jon-allan Butterworth who represented GB for the first time.
- Charlotte Bankes took a Double 1st in Snowboard Cross at Krasnoyarsk
- Katie Ormerod was 4th in Snowboard Slopestyle in Mammoth
- Kirsty Muir took 5th in Ski Slopestyle at the same event
- Charlie Guest took a career best 13th in the Slalom in Schladming Slalom
- Team GB athletes have been given ‘burner phones‘ to avoid being spied on
Doug Newman: ‘Great podcasting’
Janet Barnett: “Have been listening since The 2018 Olympics and still very much enjoying every episode”
Don’t forget you can always buy me a coffee at buymeacoffee.com/theskipodcast. All cuppas are much appreciated.
Coral (BMAC): “The only thing to cure a pining for the mountains when you can’t otherwise be on them!”
Paul Sonn (BMAC): “I’ve been enjoying your really useful program”
I mentioned earlier that TSP has been nominated as BWP. Very easy to vote – just go to www.sportspodcastawards.com. Would really appreciate and would like to thank the many people who have voted for us already, including Fran Lambert and Martin Constable.
I also enjoy all feedback about the show, so please do email. You can follow me @skipedia and the podcast @theskipodcast.
Thanks to Switzerland Tourism for sponsoring the podcast.