Episode 30: Skiing in Morocco, Powder Technique, Team GB Medals & Eddie The Eagle Pt2
In this episode Iain and Jim find out how to ski powder and service skis, discover you can do a GCSE in skiing, rejoice in Team GB success (and how Eddie ‘The Eagle’ feels about it). There’s ski touring in Morocco and more bad news for ‘The Jump’.
All that and much more in the 30th episode of The Ski Podcast. Remember all pod listeners can claim a 10% discount a the north west’s premier ski and snow centre Chill Factore using the code (‘SKIPOD10’).
Listen to the latest episode
Make sure you subscribe so you never miss an episode and please do leave us a review if you can as it helps others find us.
- Your lift pass discount code to use at Chill Factore is ‘SKIPOD10’ (0:30)
- We discussed the neoprene boot gloves that Jim saw back in Episode 2 (2:30)
- We reviewed the ‘Skiddi’ – yet another way to carry your skis – in Episode 6 (3:30)
- Beth Tweddle is sueing ‘The Jump’ for £200,000. Jim and Iain discussed the cancellation of ‘The Jump’ in our first ever episode! (4:45)
- There is a criminal investigation going on into the Courchevel fire (8:45)
- This is an excellent opinion piece about seasonal worker accommodation by MisplacedPerson (9:30)
- This article on The Telegraph goes into the changes in legislation affecting chalet companies (10:30)
- Iain went ski touring to the Atlas Mountains in Morocco. His article will be published in Snow Enthusiast Magazine in October 2019 (11:45)
- You can see more photos from Iain’s trip on the Skipedia Facebook page (13:30)
- Iain rented his touring skis from Braemar Mountain Sports (16:45)
- According to Chris Madigan in the Telegraph, “Ski touring is the most hipster way to enjoy the mountains” (16:00)
- Le Grand Bornand is part of the La Clusaz ski area, where Jim now lives (18:00)
- Thanks for our new reviews. Please do post your own review on iTunes as it helps other people find us or contact us via Twitter (23:00)
- Eddie ‘The Eagle’ Edwards talks about his current recognition by GB Snowsports and the future of ski jumping for British athletes. He discusses the cross-over between high board diving and ski jumping (28:00)
- Iain interviewed Vicky Gosling, CEO of GB Snowsports in Episode 21 (29:00)
- Jonty Learoyd has represented France at ski jumping (31:00)
- Iain interviewed Charlotte Bankes about her switch from France to Team GB in Episode 25 (32:30)
- Eddie was no.2 in the charts in Finland with this song (34:00)
- GB Snowsports stated intention is to be a top 5 snowsports nation by 2030 (36:00)
- Team GB have already notched up their best ever set of results at the Freestyle World Championships, with a gold for James ‘Woodsy’ Woods, silver for Charlotte Bankes (pictured below) and bronze for Izzy Atkin (39:00)
- Connie Brogden won the Ski Half Pipe gold in the World Junior Ski Championships (40:00)
- Dave Burrows from Snow Pros Ski School shared his thoughts on technique for powder skiing (41:00)
- Simon from Wax Off explains more about servicing skis in part two of this three part series (45:00)
- Jim was at the Chill Factore, where you can do PE lessons and GCSEs in skiing (54:00)
- Uber are offering transfers from Grenoble this February (58:00)
- Please let us know if you have any suggestions for our next Ski Book Group
Watch out for our next episode arriving into your podcast app on or around 26 February.
Don’t forget you can request your own The Ski Podcast stickers and send us a photo of your sticker!
Thanks for listening everyone!