Episode 25: St Anton, Charlotte Bankes & Billy Morgan’s favourite resort
This episode Iain and Jim discuss the lack of snow in (most of) the Alps, Iain asks new GB snowboardcross athlete Charlotte Bankes why she defected from the French team and Billy Morgan reveals his favourite ski resort.
Andy reports with the latest news from St Anton, Dave shows Jim how to turn and possibly we feature Steve from Val d’Isere talking about Tignes.
Don’t forget that all pod listeners can claim a 10% discount a the north west’s premier ski and snow centre Chill Factore using thecode (‘SKIPOD10’).
Listen to the latest episode
Make sure you subscribe so you never miss an episode and please do leave us a review if you can as it helps others find us.
- Your lift pass discount code to use at Chill Factore is ‘SKIPOD10’
- Val Thorens opened for this season, almost entirely relying on man-made snow (3:00)
- Les 2 Alpes installed snow cannons on the glacier in 2017 (4:30)
- Andy Butterworth lives in St Anton where he works for Kaluma Travel (7:00)
- If you fly to Sion a lot, you can buy into the members’ only jet club Valais Prive, from the same people who brought you Powdair – covered by us in Episode 5 (17:30)
- Oscar Wilde? What on earth is Iain talking about? It was obviously Karl Marx who said ‘History repeats itself, the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce’ (20:00)
- British Ski and Snowboard have rebranded as ‘GB Snowsport‘
- We interviewed GB Snowsport CEO Vicky Gosling in Episode 21 (21:30)
- Norway headed the medals table at PyeongChang 2018 (22:30)
- Charlotte Bankes raced for France at the Sochi 2014 and PyeongChang 2018 Winter Olympics, but in a coup for Team GB has now rejoined the country of her birth (23:30)
— Skipedia.co.uk (@skipedia) November 22, 2018
- Jerome Choupin joined GB Snowsport from the French coaching team in the summer of 2018 (28:00)
- Who is the new Team GB athlete (ski jumper?) that is expected to join in 2019? (32:00)
- The Evening Standard picked out Charlotte Bankes in October 2017 as one of the athletes who ‘got away’ (34:30)
- Could Jonny Learoyd join Team GB? (35:00)
- Look out for Laurie Taylor’s entertaining YouTube channel here
- The 10,000 hours theory is explored by Malcolm Gladwell in his book ‘Outliers’ (37:30)
- Steve Angus was a guest in Episode 6 and in this episode tells us about some of the changes in Tignes for this winter (38:45)
- Dave Burrows from Snow Pros Ski School helps Jim learn how to turn his skis (40:45)
- Iain caught up with Chemmy Alcott at the London Ski Show where she discussed why so few women ski relative to men. In Episode 24 she told us about her head-to-head slalom race against Graham Bell. (47:30)
- Billy Morgan reveals his favourite ski resort is…Mayrhofen (52:30)
- The Altitude Festival takes place in Mayrhofen (53:00)
- This week’s Ski Book Group book was ‘A Wall of White’ by Jennifer Woodlief. This non-fiction book covers the events of the massive fatal avalanche that took place in Alpine Meadows in the USA in 1982 (54:00)
- ‘Avalanche: Making a Deadly Snowstorm’ was broadcast on BBC in October (56:00)
- Many thanks to Chill Factore for sponsoring The Ski Podcast
Watch out for our next episode arriving into your podcast app on or around 11 December.